McKay has longstanding experience in the aviation sector both in New Zealand and in far-flung South Pacific islands, where logistics and a commitment to highly detailed planning play a critical role in McKay’s success over the years. Safer runways on remote islands, as well as in some of New Zealand’s busiest regional airports are helped by McKay’s airport lighting expertise.
Whangarei Aiport – Runway Lighting Extension
Whangarei Airport is one of Northland’s busiest airports, used by both commercial and private aircraft accessing Whangarei’s businesses or as an entry to the region’s tourist attractions. When the airport expanded in 2009, McKay completed the design, supply and installation of runway lighting for the airport’s new extended runway.
Kaitaia Airport – Airfield Lighting
McKay completed the design, supply, construction, testing, and commissioning of complete airfield lighting system for a 1400 metre runway in Kaitaia. Our work on the project included:
- The installation and testing of a PAPI landing system.
- Laying underground airfield lighting, control, and power cables.
- Installation of all runway edge, taxiway, and windsock lights.
- The complete 400 Volt distribution system including switch gear and cabling.
- Installation, testing and commissioning of a stand-by diesel generator and associated control equipment.
Port Vila International Airport, Vanuatu
McKay designed, supplied and installed, runway end identification lights and sequenced approach strobe lights, for the Port Vila (Bauerfield) International Airport in Vanuautu.
This airport is the primary international airport in the Republic of Vanuatu and services freight as well as the large numbers of tourist flights into the Pacific Island.
Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
The two new airport terminal buildings at Papua New Guinea’s International Airport in Port Moresby have electrical systems supplied and installed by McKay. This included high voltage reticulation, and taxiway lighting. This large and complex three year project had an approximate value of $7m
Previous Aviation Projects
McKay has carried out a vast amount of aviation work, spanning many years, on a range of airports throughout New Zealand and the South Pacific. Typically, our work has included:
- 11 KV power supply system involving power centres, installation, testing and commissioning of 11 KV switchgear and transformers.
- 400 volt distribution system including switch gear and cabling installation testing and commissioning of stand-by diesel alternators and associated control equipment.
- Complete installation of all runway lighting including runway edge and taxiway lights, centre line lights.
- T VASIS system.
- Installation of hundreds of thousands of metres of underground cables of various sizes.
- Logistics: scheduling equipment’s timely arrival, and ensuring the installation is finished simultaneously with the overall completion of the work.
- The supply of complete sets of computer aided drawings for all plant and equipment installed.
Our work is on show at a number of airports including:
- Manapouri Airport
- Queenstown Airport
- Palmerston North Airport
- Invercargill Airport
- Oamaru Airport
- Christchurch International Airport
- Rarotonga International Airport